What Can Families and Self-Advocates Expect From PEAK Parent Center?
Safe and confidential support that will help you strategize and problem solve, no matter the situation! PEAK is a beacon of hope for families who have children with disabilities and self-advocates, and is their one-stop-resource for disability information and referrals in Colorado. Whether a family or a self-advocate’s questions relate to specific disabilities, laws that protect their rights, how to advocate, available community resources, or even when they just aren’t sure where to begin, PEAK has experience, ideas, and answers!
“In PEAK I found a community of other parents, educators, and researchers who believed that we are all better together, that disability does not mean less, it means different and those differences are OK. PEAK gave me the courage to follow my deeply held belief that my daughter would benefit from going to school with everyone else, and that other kids would benefit from getting to know her as well.”
-Elisabeth Healey, Parent
What Types of Services Are Available to Families and Self-Advocates and What Are the Costs?
PEAK helps families, self-advocates, educators, and professionals to see new possibilities by expanding their knowledge of special education and advocacy issues, and offering new strategies for, and pathways to success. Most of PEAK’s services are available to families and self-advocates at no cost, in both English and Spanish.
- Parent and Youth Advising in both English and Spanish: Connections to trained parent and youth advisors who provide individualized information, support, and referrals to families by phone, email, and in-person,
- Free community workshops in locations across Colorado on key topics for families, self-advocates/youth, educators, and professionals,
- Free online webinars on key topics for families, self-advocates/youth, educators, and professionals,
- An annual conference on inclusive and best practice education attended by families, self-advocates, educators, and professionals,
- Person-centered planning facilitation and training
- Plus much more!